SPAM® is running the competition – I didn’t mean that the theatre tickets come with tins of SPAM®.
I bring this quirky competition to your attention for two reasons. Firstly because I get to write SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM all over my blog (ah, the simple pleasures in life), but also because no purchase is necessary. And it’s a competition with decent prizes, which requires a bit of effort to enter.
Competitions requiring effort are my favourite kind. The people running the competition tend to make entrants jump through hoops because the prizes are smashing. But at the same time, a lot of people who enter competitions can’t be bothered to pull out their fingers when it comes to doing anything taxing. A lot of the old-school types of competitions, which asked people to write slogans and jingles, have disappeared. Instead we have have been overrun by basic giveaways. People like to have it easy: they want to fill out an online form with their name and address, press the send button and have another glug of coffee.
In general the more effort a competition entry requires, the fewer people enter it. Pull your finger out, draw upon your personal talents and you’re in with a relatively good chance.*
This competition is to mark SPAM® Appreciation Week, which runs from 3 to 9 March 2014.
Like I said, this competition requires you to do more than fill our your address on an online form. You need to “upload a poem, photo, drawing, video or anything that reveals your devotion to the SPAM® brand.”
Go here to enter.
And to give you an idea of what you are up against, here is last year’s grand winner.
· 5 weekend breaks (To clarify: 5 pairs of tickets for 5 winners.)
· 2 tickets for a London theatre show of the winner’s choice.
· Hotel accommodation and £100 spending money.
In addition, 100 runners up will win one piece of SPAM® branded merchandise and will be chosen at random.
Closing date: 28 February 2014.
Seriously: if you have a little time to spare, do it! Unless your entry was truly dreadful, I suspect you would be in with a good shot of a prize.
You can find the full terms and conditions below. To enter, visit the Spam Appreciation Week webpage to upload your entry.
Competition terms and conditions:
- To enter the competition you must be a) a UK resident b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry
- Competition is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Hormel Foods Corporation or Tulip Ltd or any appointed agencies
- No purchase is necessary
- Only one entry is allowed per person
- Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If we have reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph , then we may not consider it.
- You warrant and undertake that photos submitted will not infringe intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party. You must ensure that any person or persons whose image is used in an entry has given valid consent for the use of their image or has waived any rights they may have in the image submitted
- You may enter the competition via our website www.spam-uk.com or via email entry to [email protected] clearly stating your name, address, age and email address
- Tulip Ltd will not be responsible for any lost entries
- The opening date of the competition will be 17th January 2014 and the closing date will be 28th February 2014. No entries will be accepted after this period.
- The winning prize comprises:100 runners up will win one piece of SPAM® branded merchandise and will be chosen at random
- 5 weekend breaks courtesy of Show & Stay.
- 2 tickets for a London theatre show of the winners choice.
- Hotel accommodation and £100 spending money!
- If you win the competition, we will notify you by both post and email in the first instance to arrange your prize
- If the show is cancelled an alternative performance will be arranged in consultation with the winners.
- Runners up will be notified by email
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence entered in to
- You can find out who has won the competition by sending a SAE marked ‘SPAM® Appreciation Week’ to Rachel Thompson, East River PR, Toffee Factory, Lower Steenbergs Yard, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 2DF
- By entering the competition the overall winner agrees to participate in any promotional activity pertaining to the competition
- The prize can only be claimed by the actual winner and not transferred to another person
- No part of the prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified
- This competition is being run by Tulip Ltd, Seton House, Warwick Technology Park, Gallows Hill, Warwick, CV34 6DA
- Competition prizes will be sent out within one month of closing date of the competition
* P.S. This principle of going all out on competitions requiring a modicum of effort is one I have lived by – and taken to extremes. In my younger days I was chuffed to net £2,000 from comps and awards for young writers. Ker-ching! Perhaps this is a subject for a future post.