Let’s face it: me and you, we have something in common. We both like to save money. As you know, I’m a thrifty tart. I spill all my top tips on here, to all and sundry. But you? Honey, you’re something else…
Every time I ask Miss Thrifty readers to share their top money-saving secrets, from thrifty shoe tips to thrifty Christmas decoration tips, I am blown away by what comes back. You lot are BRILLIANT. I’ll let you into a secret of my own: I don’t even think you as “Miss Thrifty readers” anymore. I think of you as The Thrifties.
So here’s a competition that should be right up your alley. Share your top ten savings tips, by emailing me or leaving a comment below, and you could win £100 or more.
The competition is being organised by the Money Supermarket bods, who are compiling a list of tips called The Ten Commandments of Saving. They want to see what readers of this blog, and of other money-saving blogs too, can come up with. The total prize money on offer is £1,000.
- Submit your list of 10 savings tips to me, by leaving them as a comment at the bottom of this post. Alternatively you can email them to me.
- This competition is open to UK residents aged 18 or over.
- The full terms and conditions are here.
- The closing date is 5pm on Friday 29 March 2013. That is this week, so get those entries in now!
What happens next: once the entries are in, I’m going to trawl through them all and draw up a shortlist of my ten favourite tips. The Money Supermarket judges will then select their own list of ten tips, from my shortlist and from the other bloggers’ shortlists, for their Ten Commandments of Saving. If one of your tips is chosen by Money Supermarket, you win £100.
One winning tip = £100.
And here’s a final tip from me: like I said, readers of other money-saving blogs will be entering tips too. However I think that a lot of people will underestimate how hard it is to draw up a list of 10 savings tips! Most people will start off full of beans, then flag at around number five. My hunch is that if you make it to 10 and submit your entry, you stand a good chance of getting somewhere…
Also, you lot are awesome so you have a head start anyway!
Here are a couple of savings tips from me to start you off:
Miss Thrifty’s Top Savings Tips
1. Never borrow against a depreciating asset. Don’t take out a car loan, or pay for electronic goods with a credit card if you can’t pay off the balance immediately.
2. Don’t cut corners by under-insuring when you take out home contents insurance. You may think you are saving money – only to find that when you make a claim, your insurer tears up your policy.
Come on Thrifties: show me what you can do!
Image credit: The Library of Congress.