How to Make Your Own Buttermilk

Miss Thrifty9 March 15, 2013

make buttermilk

Okay, this is just a quickie. When I cook for Thrifty Baby, I sometimes make him chicken marinated in buttermilk, a little honey and a dash of soy sauce. It’s a Nigella recipe from How To Eat – only the best for Thrifty Baby, darling! But it’s a lovely, simple recipe: you cut up the chicken, leave it to soften in the marinade for a couple of hours, then fry it with a little olive oil. He can’t get it down him fast enough.

The only sticking point is the buttermilk. I don’t buy buttermilk from the supermarket: in the UK, it’s 50 pence per pot, which seems like a lot for what it is (buttermilk is the liquid left over from the butter-making process). And I don’t use it in any recipes other than this one, so much of it would go to waste anyway. We don’t use it that much over here, do we? The odd cake or scone recipe, but that’s about it.

So I’ve picked up a trick from cooks on the other side of the pond, where lashings of buttermilk go into cakes, pancakes and waffles. It’s so easy to make your own buttermilk – and so quick!

All you need is full-fat milk, plus a lemon. If you don’t have a fresh lemon, lemon juice or vinegar are fine.

There is only one instruction:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTERMILK

1. Squeeze a tablespoon of lemon juice into a cup of milk.

Seriously, that’s all there is to it. After you add the lemon juice, stir the milk and leave to one side. It doesn’t curdle. Instead, after a few minutes, the mixture will have thickened and will be ready to use.

This tip has already saved me pounds. Why buy buttermilk, when you can make a homemade version for pennies?

Did you enjoy this post?

Free Daily Digest

9 Responses to “How to Make Your Own Buttermilk

Money Beagle says:

Just in the past few weeks my wife stumbled across a pancake recipe that calls for using vinegar, and it works great, and they’re better than pancakes that you can get at a restaurant. You’re right, making buttermilk is quite simple!

March 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Harper says:

Amazing! A lot of the Hummingbird Bakery recipes call for buttermilk and it isn’t an easy find. I will definitely try this next time I bake!

March 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Fi says:

This is so helpful! I love buttermilk chicken coated in breadcrumbs but for some reason I can never find it in the shops when I need it most. Now though I’ll be able to make my own – thanks for sharing! xx

March 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Shilpa says:

Hi,
This is based on a recipe from India Knight book. To get buttermilk along with butter just whisk double cream in the food processor and wait till the cream form tiny granules. Whisk a little more carefully and you have a lump of home made butter(additive free) and buttermilk. Drain the buttermilk and use in your recipe whilst wash the butter in cold water couple of times and store in a bowl of cold water in the fridge and use as soon as possible before it gets spoilt. I use the above made butter to make home made ghee which is used extensively in Indian cooking

March 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

MARY says:

This probably seems silly, but if you are using say 3 cups of milk, is it a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup? or less than that?

May 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Miss Thrifty says:

Hi Mary – yep, that’s right, 1 tbsp per cup.

May 14, 2013 at 9:18 am

emma says:

can i use semi-skimmed milk?

July 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

Miss Thrifty says:

@emma – no idea! Sorry, I know that isn’t helpful, but I have never tried it. If you give it a go, please report back! ;)

July 2, 2013 at 1:00 am